Re: kernel-image with the same version

Hi,
>>"Atsuhito" == Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@pm.tokushima-u.ac.jp> writes:

 Atsuhito> I installed recently potato from scratch.  Rescue disk installed
 Atsuhito> kernel 2.2.17 and I rebuild kernel-image with kerne-source 2.2.17
 Atsuhito> so the version of kernel was same for both.

	Umm. This should not happen. Since /lib/modules/2.2.17 shall
 be clobbered with the new modules. If the modules were the same, you
 should have been warned on install.

 Atsuhito> When I installed kernel-image-2.2.17*.deb which I rebuild
 Atsuhito> then /vmlinuz and /vmlinuz.old were created but both
 Atsuhito> pointed to the same /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.17.  This means no
 Atsuhito> back-up of old kernel was retained.

	If the modules were actually clobbered, you may not have a
 bootable old image left. Indeed, you shall not, since there is only
 one /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.17

 Atsuhito> In my case, new kernel seemed to work fine so there was no problem,
 Atsuhito> I guessed, but this might cause problems.

 Atsuhito> Is this inevitable or I am missing something?

	I think something is missing. If you replace a kernel with the
 same version, you end up with one /boot/vmlinuz-$VERSION, and one
 /lib/modules/$VERSION. You can move the /boot/vmlinuz-* around, but
 the kernel shall still look in the same old place for its modules.

	manoj
--
 Sendmail can safely be made setuid to root. Eric Allman, "Sendmail
 Install & Operation Guide"