Re: X with wdm capable of selecting host at login

On Mon, Aug 14, 2000 at 07:02:54PM -0700, esoR ocsirF wrote:

:OK I tried
:
:X -indirect myXhost.edu
:and it just resarts over and over but, if I do

your host is not accepting indirect connections, this is a
configuration issue (perhaps a weird one).  Since the following works,
atleast myXhost.edu should show up in the chooser window.

:X -query myXhost.edu
:I get the myXhost wdm login panel. This would indicate to
:me that XDMP is functioning from myXhost. I think my problem is that I
:dont have any way to start wdm once X has started. I am assuming that
:the correct thing to do was to just start X by hand and not try to start
:wdm.

here's what happens (nore or less :)

jon@foo> X -indirect bar
	 foo: "hey bar know anyone willing to manage XDMP sessions?"

	 bar: "sure, herse's a list"
	      -or-
	 bar: "go away I don't want to talk to you"

jon@foo> X -query bar
	 foo: "hey bar will you manage an XDMP session for me?"

	 bar: "sure, herse's my session manager (<w|g|x>dm, DTlogin, etc)"
	      -or-
	 bar: "go away I don't want to talk to you"

I'm sure I missed some subtleties, but...
myXhost.edu (if that is your real name) says "go away" to indirect
queries and "sure" to direct queries.

Look over /etc/X11R6/<x|w>dm/Xaccess again, you should have something
like:

*      CHOOSER BROADCAST       #any indirect host can get a chooser

good luck,
-Jon