Re: X with wdm capable of selecting host at login

On Mon, Aug 14, 2000 at 05:52:07PM -0700, esoR ocsirF wrote:

:# /etc/init.d/wdm stop
:# X -indirect localhost
:
:and I get an X background with a mouse cursor but no wdm panel. I, once
:again, assume that this is the correct behavior. So I am now thinking,
:do I pass these options to X via the /etc/X11/wdm/Xservers file? If so
:the syntax is beyond me at the moment. I would like to think that I am
:not as dumb as a bag of hammers but facts tend to implicate me as so
:being :-/

this means either:

there are no host on the local subnet which are willing to let you
connect via XDMP or some thing is scrod in your config files (like wdm
is looking at xmd's config or some other random weirdness).

I've always found Linux XDMP (well XFree86 I guess) to be kind of
tempermental, I don't know where you're machine is network wise, but
if there's any Solaris boxen available try:

X -indirect solaris.my.network

making the apropriate name change, if this machine is on the same
subnet you could verify if there's simply no hosts willing to talk
XDMP.

-Jon

--
jon@ai.mit.edu