Re: What Happenned?

On Fri, Aug 11, 2000 at 08:54:43AM -0700, David Brown wrote:
> Classic problem with spam.  An innocent user responds to a piece of spam.
> The spammers then begin forging the spam as being from that user's account.
> I don't have the headers of the message, but I suspect that you will find
> it didn't actually come from this user's hotmail account.  Does anyone have
> the headers sitting around for the spam?

You think organizations like hotmail actually give a damn about
trivialities like whether or not the user actually sent the spam?  It's
easier to just can the account; that way they can say they "get tough" on
spammers.

Why bother to spend valuable capital resources reading the headers of spam
messages to determine actual culpability when only geeks will know the
difference?

Large ISP's are about as reasonable as large phone companies, and for the
same reasons.

--
G. Branden Robinson             |    You can have my PGP passphrase when you
Debian GNU/Linux                |    pry it from my cold, dead brain.