Re: intent to package mrename

On Wed, Aug 09, 2000 at 10:41:50AM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:
> Christian Pernegger wrote:
> > This is probably true, but also the clearest indication that Debian needs
> > a new archive structure.
> >
> > One of the nice things about Debian is (for me) that I can apt-get install
> > <anything> and it will problably work because there is a package for almost
> > everything.
>
> How is a new archive structure going to prevent you from having to spend
> time downloading packages files before an "apt-get install <anything>"
> will work?

Just like you can now select multiple sources for apt, I imagine you could
have something that lets you select parts of an archive that interest you.

The easiest way would be to make package lists per-directory items. This way
a user not interested in X apps doesn't even see (or download) them. An added
benefit of
splitting the packages file is that if only the section main/games changed,
the rest of main wouldn't have to be fetched.

Regards

Christian