Split of Packages.gz (was: intent to package mrename)

Hallo,

On Wed, Aug 09, 2000 at 10:21:08PM +0200, Christian Pernegger wrote:
> The easiest way would be to make package lists per-directory items. This way
> a user not interested in X apps doesn't even see (or download) them. An added
> benefit of
> splitting the packages file is that if only the section main/games changed,
> the rest of main wouldn't have to be fetched.

While I'm not against this idea, I don't believe that this
will bring a great benefit.  E.g. I'm interested in
main/devel, because of a handful of packages, or some other
user is interested in guile, so she loads
main/interpreters/Packages.gz, which is 99% on all of the
other scripting language packages etc.  The splitted
Packages.gz would have a greater benefit, if our package
struture would become much more fine-grained, like
main/interpreters/{guile,misc,perl,tcl}/... and
main/devel/{c,c++,debian,gnome,misc}/...

We need to transfer just the diff's, but I don't know how
to achieve this.  And this is still no solution for the
VM problem.

Cheers,
--
W. Borgert <debacle@debian.org>