Re: ITP: aewm, dagrab

[no need to CC me personally, I read the list at least twice a day]

Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:

> And what bad precident would that be... thinking about what one
> decides to package?

I think it is a bad idea to disallow entry of a free software package
into Debian, even if there is something that currently provides very
similar functionality.

It is just such an arbitrary decision as to what is "the same
functionality".  If it's free software, and not absurdly large, then
why not let it in?

After all, one of them could become unmaintained upstream, or perhaps
the authors of the respective software will notice the other package
and decide to merge.

I basically rely on Debian to have packaged all of the free software
out there, because there is too much new free software each day to
keep track of, and it's easy to search and install packages in
dselect (I really don't like web browsers and such).

So let's not exclude anything, if someone is willing to make the
effort of packaging it.