Re: Intent to port to ia64

On Sun, Jul 30, 2000 at 10:13:45AM +0200, Roland Bauerschmidt wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 29, 2000 at 10:03:10PM -0700, Randolph Chung wrote:
> > Be aware that the IA64 software simulators seem very non-free, so I'm
> > not sure if we can/should use them. I doubt we can do an effective port
> > unless we get machines. Maybe some other people here will have more like
> > with that than I.
>
> On Linuxtag in Stuttgart someone (I think from NEC) told us that, he
> probably could borrow us a IA64 machine. Unfortunately this was only for
> a month. I doubt if this would be a real help. Torsten, do you still have
> his business card?

Sure I have the card but I don't know who suggested the ia64. The problem
is that the machine would be used by them and he said he could neither
guarantee permanent net access nor root access. And I think we need root
to get a base system running :((

I would also like to help porting to ia64 but I would either need a machine
or good network access (I got tcpdump to compile but I can't check it
very much as normal user...)

Thanks

    Torsten

--
Torsten Landschoff           Bluehorn@IRC               <torsten@debian.org>
           Debian Developer and Quality Assurance Committee Member