Re: splitting up kernel-image into two pieces

On Jul 25, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> >>"Nick" == Nick Cabatoff <ncc@cs.mcgill.ca> writes:
>
>  Nick> However, I also want to be able to specify which kernel on a
>  Nick> given machine is the one that the vmlinuz symlink should point
>  Nick> to.  I liked the idea of representing the selection as a
>  Nick> package because then I could use the current kernel-image
>  Nick> postinst/postrm more or less as is, and because I thought it
>  Nick> was nice to be able to see what kernel is in use on the machine
>  Nick> by looking at a package listing.
>
>  	Don't you thihnk that the image postinst/rm are a trifle
>  overkill for this? I mean, one can go
>        % ln -sf /boot/vmlinuz-X.X.XX /vmlinuz && lilo
>  and be done with it. ssh and sudo allows one to do this remotely.
> 	% ssh machine1 ls -l /
>  lets one know what kernels are on what machine.
>
> 	Are there significant gains by packaging the ln -s + lilo command?

For me there are.  I'm using this in a context where packages are
installed automatically, so I don't want to have to issue the ln
command by hand.  Also, since all configuration information for a
machine is in the package database, I want which kernel is in use to
be represented there too.