Re: splitting up kernel-image into two pieces

>>"Nick" == Nick Cabatoff <ncc@cs.mcgill.ca> writes:

 Nick> However, I also want to be able to specify which kernel on a
 Nick> given machine is the one that the vmlinuz symlink should point
 Nick> to.  I liked the idea of representing the selection as a
 Nick> package because then I could use the current kernel-image
 Nick> postinst/postrm more or less as is, and because I thought it
 Nick> was nice to be able to see what kernel is in use on the machine
 Nick> by looking at a package listing.

 	Don't you thihnk that the image postinst/rm are a trifle
 overkill for this? I mean, one can go
       % ln -sf /boot/vmlinuz-X.X.XX /vmlinuz && lilo
 and be done with it. ssh and sudo allows one to do this remotely.
	% ssh machine1 ls -l /
 lets one know what kernels are on what machine.

	Are there significant gains by packaging the ln -s + lilo command?

        manoj
--
 QOTD: "There may be no excuse for laziness, but I'm sure looking."