Re: splitting up kernel-image into two pieces

>>"Nick" == Nick Cabatoff <ncc@cs.mcgill.ca> writes:

 Nick> I don't want to specify the kernel in my lilo because I want to be
 Nick> able to use the same lilo.conf for all, or at least most, of our ~100
 Nick> debian machines.  I don't want to have to change lilo.conf just
 Nick> because I change the kernel.

	I guess I don't understand. Here is the lilo.conf I use on
 around a dozen machines I have access to. It never changes; all I
 ever do is move a few symlinks around and rerun lilo.

	Indeed, not having to change the the lilo.conf was one of the
 major motivations for the current symlink handling.

 Now, if you do not want the symlinks handled automatically, modify
 your lilo.conf to never look at /vmlinuz* (create differently named
 links for yourself), and set do_symlinks to no.

 	How does this fail to address your needs? (Surely you do not
 need a complicated script to change a few symlinks around when you
 are making all the decisions?)

 	manoj

# /etc/lilo.conf - See: `lilo(8)' and `lilo.conf(5)',
# ---------------       `install-mbr(8)', `/usr/share/doc/lilo/',
#                       and `/usr/share/doc/mbr/'.

# +---------------------------------------------------------------+
# |                        !! Reminder !!                         |
# |                                                               |
# | Don't forget to run `lilo' after you make changes to this     |
# | conffile, `/boot/bootmess.txt', or install a new kernel.  The |
# | computer will most likely fail to boot if a kernel-image      |
# | post-install script or you don't remember to run `lilo'.      |
# |                                                               |
# +---------------------------------------------------------------+

# Specifies the boot device.  This is where Lilo installs its boot
# block.  It can be either a partition, or the raw device, in which
# case it installs in the MBR, and will overwrite the current MBR.
#
boot = /dev/hda2

# Specifies the device that should be mounted as root. (`/')
#
##root=/dev/hda5
root=current

# Enable map compaction:
# Tries to merge read requests for adjacent sectors into a single
# read request. This drastically reduces load time and keeps the
# map smaller.  Using `compact' is especially recommended when
# booting from a floppy disk.  It is disabled here by default
# because it doesn't always work.
#
compact

# Installs the specified file as the new boot sector
#
install=/boot/boot.b

# Specifies the location of the map file
#
map=/boot/map

# You can set a password here, and uncomment the `restricted' lines
# in the image definitions below to make it so that a password must
# be typed to boot anything but a default configuration.  If a
# command line is given, other than one specified by an `append'
# statement in `lilo.conf', the password will be required, but a
# standard default boot will not require one.
#
# This will, for instance, prevent anyone with access to the
# console from booting with something like `Linux init=/bin/sh',
# and thus becoming `root' without proper authorization.
#
# Note that if you really need this type of security, you will
# likely also want to use `install-mbr' to reconfigure the MBR
# program, as well as set up your BIOS to disallow booting from
# removable disk or CD-ROM, then put a password on getting into the
# BIOS configuration as well.  Please RTFM `install-mbr(8)'.
#
# password=tatercounter2000

# Specifies the number of deciseconds (0.1 seconds) LILO should
# wait before booting the first image.
#
delay = 50                    # optional, for systems that boot very quickly

# You can put a customized boot message up if you like.  If you use
# `prompt', and this computer may need to reboot unattended, you
# must specify a `timeout', or it will sit there forever waiting
# for a keypress.  `single-key' goes with the `alias' lines in the
# `image' configurations below.  eg: You can press `1' to boot
# `Linux', `2' to boot `LinuxOLD', if you uncomment the `alias'.
#
message=/etc/lilo.message
        prompt
        single-key
        timeout=300

verbose = 3

# Specifies the VGA text mode at boot time. (normal, extended, ask,
# <mode>)
#
# vga=ask
# vga=9
#
vga=normal

# Kernel command line options that apply to all installed images go
# here.  See: The `boot-prompt-HOWO' and `kernel-parameters.txt' in
# the Linux kernel `Documentation' directory.
#
# append=""
append = "mem=127M"

# Boot up Linux by default.
#
default=Linux

image = /vmlinuz
	label = Linux
	root = /dev/hda2
        read-only
        alias=1

image = /vmlinuz.old
	label = LinuxOLD
	root = /dev/hda2
	optional
        read-only
        alias=2

image = /vmlinuz.stable
	label = Stable
	root = /dev/hda2
	optional
        read-only
        alias=3

image = /vmlinuz.unstable
	label = Unstable
	root = /dev/hda2
	optional
        read-only
        alias=4

image=/boot/linux
	label=Rescue
        root=/dev/ram0
	initrd=/boot/root.bin
	optional
	append="load_ramdisk=1 mem=127M"
        alias=5

# If you have another OS on this machine to boot, you can uncomment
# the following lines, changing the device name on the `other' line to
# where your other OS' partition is.
#
#other = /dev/hda1
#   table = /dev/hda
#   label = 1

--
 If a group of _N persons implements a COBOL compiler, there will be
 _N-1 passes.  Someone in the group has to be the manager. Cheatham