Re: sensible-x-terminal and x-terminal-emulator

On Fri, Jul 21, 2000 at 09:52:40AM +0900, Tomohiro KUBOTA wrote:
> Then what is adequate?  Sensible-x-terminal-emulator is.

Has someone prototyped this yet?

I'm sure I've noticed various attempts at sensible-xterm scripts being
posted about, but has someone made a .deb of it yet? You should be able to
make a sensible-xterm.deb that includes /usr/bin/sensible-xterm-emulator,
depends, recommends or suggests kterm or hanterm or whatever's
appropriate, and does:

	dpkg-divert --package sensible-xterm --remove --rename \
		--divert /usr/bin/X11/xterm.x11 /usr/bin/X11/xterm
	ln -s /usr/bin/sensible-xterm-emulator /usr/bin/X11/xterm

in its postinst, and something analogous in its prerm. People can then
install sensible-xterm.deb and see if it works for everyone, without
having to try to convince Branden, or -policy or anyone. As soon as
its known to work, and xterm itself has turned out not to have improved
enough, it can be recommended or depended on by xfree86-common or so.

Cheers,
aj

                                      -- Dave Clark