Re: sensible-x-terminal and x-terminal-emulator

Hi,

From: Chu-yeon Park <kokids@debian.org>
Subject: Re: sensible-x-terminal and x-terminal-emulator
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 02:48:00 +0900

>> Or, how about using KTERM as the default X terminal emulator for
>> Debian until the ideal international X terminal emulator will be
>> available?  Kterm supports ISO2022-based various character sets
>> including ISO8859-{1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9}, JISX0201, JISX0208, GB2312,
>> and KSC5601.  Much better than Xterm.
> Hmm. I can't agree. :) Localized terminals have language-specific
> environments, for example, hanterm has various Korean encoding such as
> KS X 1001 (KS C 5601 previously), KS C 5636 and Unicode support.
> Also, keyboard mappings used to input Korean(so-called 2bulsik and 3bulsik)
> is supported. Although we are forced to use kterm as the default xterm
> in Debian, we *ALL* can't agree that and there will be constant disputes
> about that problem.

Yes!  I wanted to say that even Kterm which can display so many
character sets cannot satisfy people in the world.  I showed a
screenshot because I wanted European people to try to display
ISO8859-1 characters on Kterm.  I am sure almost people cannot.
I wanted European people to feel Kterm is inconvenient.  Yes,
Kterm cannot be the default.  Nevertheless, objectively, Kterm
is better than Xterm.  Thus, if Kterm cannot be the default,
Xterm is far from being able to be the default.
Then what is adequate?  Sensible-x-terminal-emulator is.

BTW, what is KSC5636?  Additional characterset to KSX1001?
Which encoding supports KSC5636 character set?  EUC-KR?
ISO-2022-KR?

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.or.jp>
http://surfchem0.riken.go.jp/~kubota/