Re: sensible-x-terminal and x-terminal-emulator

Hi,

From: Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>
Subject: Re: sensible-x-terminal and x-terminal-emulator
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 01:00:32 -0500

>> Please note at least that there are already variety of terminal
>> emulators although there is not yet sensible-x-terminal-emulator.
> I am saying that I think sensible-x-terminal-emulator will promote this
> feedback loop.

You might be right.  However, you are too idealistic.  Asian people
need sensible-x-terminal-emulator NOW.  This need is concrete and
your 'feedback loop' is only a possibility.  And the possibility
can be avoided because the development of software is done by
human will.  It is not a natural phenomenon.  This is different
from possibility to rain or snow.

If it is the most important to stop the 'feedback loop' and promote
international Xterm, we should rather adopt a 7-bit terminal emulator
as the default so that not only Asian people but also European-language
speakers are forced to develop the international Xterm!

Or, how about using KTERM as the default X terminal emulator for
Debian until the ideal international X terminal emulator will be
available?  Kterm supports ISO2022-based various character sets
including ISO8859-{1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9}, JISX0201, JISX0208, GB2312,
and KSC5601.  Much better than Xterm.
(Though Kterm does not support KOI8-R, TIS620, VISCII, and so on.)
Check http://surfchem0.riken.go.jp/~kubota/mojibake/terminal-emulators.html
for a screenshot of Kterm with variety of charsets including
ISO-8859-{1,2}, Russian, Hebrew, Japanese, and Korean.

PS. I started to contact with Xterm developer.  However, this does
    not mean that I will withdraw my sensible-x-terminal-emulator.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.or.jp>
http://surfchem0.riken.go.jp/~kubota/