Re: ITP: auto-apt (automatic apt-get)

At Sat, 8 Jul 2000 20:08:02 -0700,
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> wrote:

> > > +   By breaking all the pathnames into components and storing them
> > > +   seperately a space savings is realized by not duplicating the string
> > > +   over and over again. Ultimately this saving is sacrificed to storage of
> > > +   the tree structure itself but the tree structure yeilds a speed gain
> > > +   in the sorting and processing. Ultimately it takes about 5 seconds to
> > > +   do 141000 nodes and about 5 meg of ram.
> >
> > Wow, great.  How much fast to lookup this database?
>
> Well, ask Jason for a real answer, but off-the-cuff, I'd say: It's a
> tree descent, where depth of tree is related to the number of directories in
> the path. Probably quite fast.

Yeh, I write test program by referencing apt/ftparchive/contents.cc.
This new code can generates contents database around 60-70 sec, and
filesize will be ~2MB. (from potato/Contents-i386.gz and
potato/non-US/Contents-i386.gz, 350252 files).
It's quite fast to lookup entry. (maybe ~10msec)
I put this code at http://www.debian.org/~ukai/auto-apt/experimental/

I'm now integrating this new code to auto-apt.

Thanks,
Fumitoshi UKAI