Re: ITP: auto-apt (automatic apt-get)

Fumitoshi UKAI wrote:
> I'm developing a tool to run apt-get on demand.

As I said, very neat. The contents database could use a lot of work
though. The file compaction you're doing is frankly, disgusting.

    {"boot/",           "!/"},
    {"bin/",            "b/"},
    {"sbin/",           "s/"},
    {"usr/bin/",        "B/"},
    {"usr/sbin/",       "S/"},
    {"etc/init.d/",     "ei/"},
    {"etc/texmf/",      "et/"},

Is this just done to save space? There are better ways. It's also (as you
know) incredibly slow, and needs a lot of optimization.

What I think you should do is talk to Jason Gunthorpe. I think Jason has been
working on Contents file stuff for apt already, and has some stuff that
can build a binary db in a few seconds (or at least in minute -- not half
an hour). Clearly, if apt has support for loading contents files or some
equivilant structure, it will be useful for auto-apt and lots of other things
too. I think Jason had some ideas about effecient ways to pack Contents data
into a db file.

--
see shy jo