Re: Debian 2.2 Release.

On Thu, Jul 06, 2000 at 08:41:01AM -0700, Seth Cohn wrote:

> It's the most work, but not the cleanest... the cleanest would be:
>
> check apt db for a package of the same name

What has apt to do with the origin of a .deb package? Nothing.
Stuffing more and more functionality into apt is not the solution.

Remember that there exist and will exist deb packages without a Packages
file, without a proper repository, and that there will exist Debian systems
without apt, or people who don't or can't use apt for various reasons.

Our package manager is still dpkg, not apt. apt is a meta tool to handle
the installation and update of a bunch of packages in a convenient way.

> Seems that Origin field won't by you much more than that will...

The Origin field is critical. If the dpkg developer ever want that other
people beside Debian use the .deb format, they should hurry up to provide a
proper way to distinguish the source a .deb file came from.

Thanks,
Marcus