Re: Debian 2.2 Release.

Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 06, 2000 at 08:41:01AM -0700, Seth Cohn wrote:
> > It's the most work, but not the cleanest... the cleanest would be:
> > check apt db for a package of the same name
>
> What has apt to do with the origin of a .deb package? Nothing.
> Stuffing more and more functionality into apt is not the solution.
>
> Remember that there exist and will exist deb packages without a Packages
> file, without a proper repository, and that there will exist Debian systems
> without apt, or people who don't or can't use apt for various reasons.
>
> Our package manager is still dpkg, not apt. apt is a meta tool to handle
> the installation and update of a bunch of packages in a convenient way.
>
> > Seems that Origin field won't by you much more than that will...
>
> The Origin field is critical. If the dpkg developer ever want that other
> people beside Debian use the .deb format, they should hurry up to provide a
> proper way to distinguish the source a .deb file came from.
>
> Thanks,
> Marcus

This is only one thing that can be changed in .deb .

If I was a developer, I whould suggest making a proposal
of a .deb format v.2 for Woody or Woody+1 .

This can also be a good point for making dpkg/dselect/apt
to use a single package database.

(correct me if I'm wrong)

--
Mail You Later!

        Aigarius
    aigarius@zednet.lv

Origin: Not enough hard drive space... please delete windows. PLEASE!!!