Re: Debian 2.2 Release.

Robert Bihlmeyer wrote:

>> As I said, I'd prefer to see bugs or reportbug figure out the package
>> origin (apt knows it, assuming the location of the current package of
>> the same name is the same location as the installed package's BTS) but
>> that's a wishlist feature.

> This will not always work. You mentioned the case of wget & dpkg -i,
> but there is also the case when a package is dropped from the archive
> (e.g. it is removed from frozen due to bugs). Then it will be present
> on my system, but apt will no longer know where it came from.

> The cleanest solution (which entails a change of some standards and is
> therefore the most work) is certainly the addition of an Origin field
> to the .deb. This has been proposed before.

It's the most work, but not the cleanest... the cleanest would be:

check apt db for a package of the same name
If found, is it the same version as installed?
	If yes, submit bug report to same BTS location as apt says
	if no, warn user a newer version is available
		(possibly older version is available?)
If not found, ask user where to submit a bug report in order
	preferred:
	a) showing a list of known BTS sites
	b) showing a maintainer email
	c) showing an author email
	d) other?
	Email addresses should be greppable from something installed by
	the package... gotta be a contact email someplace... even if the
	package was aliened and missing fields.

Seems that Origin field won't by you much more than that will...

Seth