Re: package scripts calling update-rc.d on upgrades

On Wed, Jul 05, 2000 at 12:54:01PM +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 04, 2000 at 10:02:55PM +0200, Arthur Korn wrote:
> > The fact that removed symlinks in /etc/rc?.d/ get recreated on
> > update and installs after remove (as opposed to virgin/after
> > purge) annoyed me for some time now. Couldn't this be fixed by
> > only calling 'update-rc.d install' on install and not on update
> > and only if the initscript is not already there?
> Right, but the maintainers probably just don't know that (or didn't know
> when they first added it to their package scripts). Bugs should be filed
> against packages (and against debhelper and deb-make) in case they have a
> update-rc.d line in postinst without checking $2 is empty.

This doesn't always work: when you add an init.d script in version 2.1 of
your package, upgrades from 1.0 -> 3.4 should create the link while upgrades
from 2.2 -> 3.4 shouldn't change it.

If, instead of just deleting all the S20 and K20 links (or whatever) you
instead delete just the S links, update-rc.d will behave how you expect.

Someone should probably document this in the debian administrator's manual.
Somebody should probably collect all the stuff that's currently been written
for the Debian administrator's manual and upload it to woody, too.

Cheers,
aj

                                      -- Dave Clark