Re: SECURITY PROBLEM: autofs [all versions]

On Mon, 3 Jul 2000, Christopher W. Curtis wrote:

> > System as shipped boots from floppy.
> > System as shipped does not have password.
>
> So your answer is that basic security is not important enough to give
> users out of the box?  Is there a 'hardening debian' guide somewhere
> that says, "By default, all Debian installations are subject to the
> following root compromises - you can fix each of these by doing a) b)
> c).  While we have the ability to fix these for you before shipping you
> an insecure OS, it's simply too much trouble to change one line in one
> file when security is the concern of the person who installs the system,
> and not the concern of the people releasing the system."

No, my answer is to make is usable for the majority of users, without removing
functionality.

Would you go back on the motherboard manufacture if someone got into your
machine thru a back door bios password?  I highly doubt it.

In this case, hpa is to the bios writer, as debian is to the mobo
manufacturer.

> Or is it simply a matter of, "Well, to make it hard to beak in, they
> have to do a) and b) anyways, so while they're at it, they can just go
> ahead and do f) - l) as well".

When securing a machine, you have to cover ALL bases.  NEVER assume that the
defaults are secure.  If you want a truly secure machine, you need to audit
every single piece of software, and its config files.

> I thought Debian was all about high-quality releases - if you want to
> take a microsoft style approach to security, why bother waiting for the
> software to stablize either?

It is too late in potato's cycle for this to be addressed.  If you read the
very first email I sent in this thread, you would have seen that I had no
problem adding those options.  I just won't be doing it for Debian 2.2.  Most
likely it will be 2.2r1.

----BEGIN PGP INFO----
Adam Heath <doogie@debian.org>        Finger Print | KeyID
67 01 42 93 CA 37 FB 1E    63 C9 80 1D 08 CF 84 0A | DE656B05 PGP
AD46 C888 F587 F8A3 A6DA  3261 8A2C 7DC2 8BD4 A489 | 8BD4A489 GPG
-----END PGP INFO-----