Re: Debian 2.2 Release.

Seth Cohn <seth@euglug.net> writes:

> As I said, I'd prefer to see bugs or reportbug figure out the package
> origin (apt knows it, assuming the location of the current package of the
> same name is the same location as the installed package's BTS) but that's
> a wishlist feature.

This will not always work. You mentioned the case of wget & dpkg -i,
but there is also the case when a package is dropped from the archive
(e.g. it is removed from frozen due to bugs). Then it will be present
on my system, but apt will no longer know where it came from.

The cleanest solution (which entails a change of some standards and is
therefore the most work) is certainly the addition of an Origin field
to the .deb. This has been proposed before.

--
Robbe