Re: Debian 2.2 Release.

Christian Kurz <shorty@debian.org> wrote:

> > Hamish> Which isn't much good since the bug command will still send to
> > Hamish> the debian.org bts, for example.

> > bug is obsolete, and reportbug can handle different debugs servers.

> Hm, so you think everybody should install python-base and python-newt
> just to be able to submit bugs for debian-packages? I won't do so and
> find this not a possible solution, so bug is in my opinion absolutely
> not obsolete and still needed.

No, I agree, reportbugs, while preferred, isn't obsolete, but

as Robert Bihlmeyer <robbe@orcus.priv.at> posted:

> But see <URL:http://bugs.debian.org/46680>. I've also sent a patch
> for "bug -B" that-a-way which should appear there soon.

Which means that functionally, Hamish is still answered with 'bug _can_
handle this...' and the patch is trivial.

As I said, I'd prefer to see bugs or reportbug figure out the package
origin (apt knows it, assuming the location of the current package of the
same name is the same location as the installed package's BTS) but that's
a wishlist feature.  It's also a good argument why an apt source is better
than a direct download/install - bug reporting is made easier.

Seth