Re: ITPers should have Sponsors

Michael Beattie <mickyb@es.co.nz> writes:

> It would be prefered that if a package is ITP'd, it will have an outside
> chance of getting into the distribution. Read: someone with a valid key in
> the keyring is involved in its creation, be it the maintainer directly, or
> the sponsor of a prospective maintainer.
>
> If we have every man and his dog posts ITP's, on a whim, the situation
> becomes a mess.

I don't understand that at all. For me the main point of an ITP
announcement is to prevent duplication of effort. If someone is
working on the packaging of a piece of software, perhaps mainly to
make it play nicely on her machines, it would be dumb to let another
one do this again without even having the chance to review the
first person's work.

Why is it important whether any of the involved people is actually a
developer, or has a sponsor?

--
Robbe