Re: ITPers should have Sponsors

On Wed, Jun 28, 2000 at 01:32:54AM +0200, Peter Palfrader wrote:
> Would it be appropriate for non-devs to post ITP if they already have
> a sponsor, or would one have to always ask ones sponsor to write/post
> the ITP?

I imagine it would be okay, *if* that sponsor will sponsor that new package.

The key issue isnt discrimination of any sort, its just that there is no
order to the process at all. what Lars has proposed looks quite effective.

It would be prefered that if a package is ITP'd, it will have an outside
chance of getting into the distribution. Read: someone with a valid key in
the keyring is involved in its creation, be it the maintainer directly, or
the sponsor of a prospective maintainer.

If we have every man and his dog posts ITP's, on a whim, the situation
becomes a mess.

As a final note, one pointed out by netgod on IRC, ITP's are meant to notify
others you are working on a package, and we can expect it to be in the
distribution soon. - something a non-dev cannot do.
(Johnie, maybe you can explain it better.. Im not a wordsmith)

                       Michael Beattie (mickyb@es.co.nz)

                 Documentation - The worst part of programming.