Re: Package conflicts outside of Extra

Branden Robinson <branden@ecn.purdue.edu> writes:

> On Thu, Jun 15, 2000 at 01:46:12PM -0400, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> > I'm not criticizing your actions here, just giving an example of a
> > package conflict.  There are many reasons why conflicts will be
> > inevitable; my concern is not to make there be no conficts, but to do
> > the right thing when there are: move all but one package into Extra.
>
> I hope you can appreciate my frustration, though, when I propose 3 distinct
> alternatives to this action and they are ignored.  There is no fundamental
> reason multiple display managers cannot be installed and coexist; and I
> think people taking an advocacy position WRT compliance with this aspect of
> policy must be willing to entertain multiple possible methods of
> conformance.

Oh, I'm certainly frustrated by the situation for all the same reasons
as you are.  I don't know a good way to fix this problem.  Well, I
think I know how to fix the technical problem (as do you) but the
political problem, the "get all three developers working together to
fix it" problem, I have no clue how to fix that one.