On Sat, Jun 10, 2000 at 03:02:14PM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:

> Why else would we not package up KDE, or

because the license didn't permit us to do so.  both KDE and Qt2 are free
software.  the problem is that their licenses are incompatible and do not
permit us to distribute them together.

> distribute Debian with a bundled version of Doom or Quake? (Well,
> before Quake was Free)

ditto. because their licenses did not permit us to distribute them.

OTOH, we have *always* distributed in our archive (separate from debian
itself) some non-free software where the license has allowed us to do
so. as with any other package, the choice of which non-free software we
distribute is up to individual maintainers - if someone wants to package
it, then they can.  if nobody wishes to, then we don't.  simple as that.

craig sanders