>>"John" == John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> writes:

 >> I think I disagree. I have not found Mozilla to be as yet an
 >> adequatre replacement for netscape; nor can I find something for the
 >> festvox packages, and I certainly would hate to lose angband and
 >> zangband (which are only in non free since they prevent commercial
 >> use; the sources are freely available for modification).

 John> I don't think that games justify the continued support of non-free
 John> software.

 	Please read up on festvox before you start labelling it. I
 think this reinforces my impression; you have not looked at the
 packages in non-free, and have not a clue about what you are
 advocating throwing away.

	You know, removing those packages would go a long way towards
 diminishing Debians credibility as a modern Linux. I have had people
 ask me if Debian could do java? Could it do ecommerce? did we have
 netscape? Could they move their servers off solaris, and have all the
 java survive the move? And I could say, hey, we have the same apache,
 and mysql; you can get the the same jdk -- but remove the non-free
 stuff, and even my ability tohandle pdf diminishes since gs-aladdin
 would go away too.

	I think this GR is waaaay premature.

        manoj
--
 The sweeter the apple, the blacker the core -- Scratch a lover and
 find a foe! Dorothy Parker, "Ballad of a Great Weariness"