Re: Regarding the GR [non-developer]

On Sat, Jun 10, 2000 at 12:15:37AM -0400, Branden Robinson wrote:

> You are, I trust, aware that this General Resolution, whether it is passed
> or not, does not prevent *anyone* from making a .deb of anything in
> particular, or putting it on a CD.  It would, if passed, preclude .debs of
> non-free software from redistribution through the Debian mirror network.

Yeah, I realize that.

On the other hand, I don't fully trust a non-Debian .deb package. The
complaint still stands; I'd almost rather deal with a "make install" than a
.deb gone wrong, or off. A non-Debian .deb simply seems less likely to be
written properly, as opposed to a Debian one which has lots of people
reading lintian scan reports.

I'd be happier if Debian carried 'em.

> > Are you guys making a Product or a Statement? Choose which.
>
> Since when are these mutually exclusive alternatives?

You can do both, of course -- everybody does, after all -- but one of them
is always more important. That's the whole argument, isn't it? The "no
non-free" guys are more interested in a Statement, and the "but it'd suck
otherwise" guys are more interested in a Product.

--
Asher Densmore-Lynn <jesdynf@fastlane.net>