Re: Why the GR is not necessary

> > rename "main" to "debian"

> I don't think that works

Actually, it can work if we do several things:

 1) make the user do something extrordinary (like -gasp- edit a file)
     to get non-free software. (referring to the sources.list; once done,
     it's perm for that user)

 2) the renaming is a really good idea.

     To illustrate...

       deb http://site/debian stable main

     suggests that there's more to come. If there is a main, that implies
     the existance of a not-main. I want to avoid that implication entirely.

       deb http://site/debian stable debian

     is very clean and says it all without suggesting wrongfully that
     debian has a connection to non-free stuff. The statement the user
     is making is "give me the stable debian from the mirror site/debian".

 3) debian as released will -never- release a sources.list on anything
     debian calls an official release with the string "non-free" in it.
     Not ANYWHERE in that file, not as documentation, not as examples.

I'm saying: apt makes getting non-free easy enough as it is. Let's not
make it effortless, and placing it into default sources.list will do
exactly that. If they want non-free, LET THEM LEARN HOW TO GET IT AND
WILLFULLY ALTER THE CONFIGS.

-Jim

---
Jim Lynch       Finger for pgp key