Re: KDE REWARD OFFERED

On 09-Jun-00, 17:16 (CDT), "Alexander N. Benner" <Nikodemus@innocent.com> wrote:
> > I don't think so: if you permit to link GPL software to QPL software, you
> > permit to restrict the freedoom of the code (QPL is more strict than GPL).
> > But the GPL is designed to maximize the freedom of the users, so  this
> > permission is not acceptable in the GPL.
>
> No, the author of the software _chooses_ to link it that way, therefor no
> freedom is taken by it. The other way round. Not allowing someone to link it
> that way, even if both the author of the software, as well as the one of the
> graphic lib agree to it, is restricting.

Come on, this has been explained many times, and it is not hard:

1. The GPL is not compatible with the QPL - software released under the
GPL may not be linked with Qt and then distributed.

2. The author (more accurately, the copyright holder) may choose to add
a additional privilige that allows such linking and distribution.

2a. One could argue that writing a program that requires Qt and
releasing it under the GPL defacto grants the additional privilege, but:

3. KDE includes programs and code that were *derived* from GPL'd
programs that were not originally intended for use with Qt or KDE. The
original authors have not given permission for their code to be linked
with Qt and then distributed. Thus, (2a) doesn't apply. Therefore:

4. Distribution of (at least some portions) of KDE violates the GPL.

As for KDE's lawyers saying "it's OK", well, laywers are paid to share
the opinions of their client.

Steve