I sometimes get sick of this issue and wish it would
get resolved.  I understand the problem, and sometimes
think it is that the GPL goes just a little bit too
far.  I wish KDE could just be stuffed in 'non-free'
or  some other cage just so debian could still
sym-link to it and make some people happy!

In a related issue, there is a very nice program I'd
like to see packaged but it is linked against QT and
is  licensed under the QPL.  I don't know if it would
suffer the same fate as KDE (which is licensed under
the GPL).

--- "James A. Treacy" <treacy@debian.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 06, 2000 at 08:24:37AM -0700, Kenneth
> Scharf wrote:
> > I just saw this on slashdot.  Someone is offering
> > $3000 reward to the KDE project if they change
> their
> > license so KDE may be included in debian!
> >

> The best part about it is most of the comments were
> supportive
> of us. Mind you, that was early on and slashdot has
> a tendency
> to get out of control.
> --
> James (Jay) Treacy