On Fri, Jun 09, 2000 at 03:59:03AM +0200, Juergen A. Erhard wrote:
>     Sudhakar> I thought the goal of Debian was to produce the best
>     Sudhakar> operating system possible.
> Yes, you're right, that's (one of the) goal(s) of Debian.  But that
> "possible" of course means "possible withing the constraints we've set
> us".  *All* we're doing here is reevaluing and resetting these
> constraints.

Well, up until now we've only limited ourselves to the constraints
imposed upon us by the law (non-US) and by people's licenses (can't
distribute binaries (qmail, pine, KDE), can't distribute for profit
(removed from CD's), and can't distribute at all (realplayer, MS Office)).

This proposal marks a change in that philosophy in that now we're meant
to impose constraints on ourselves in what we distribute as well.

Cheers,
aj

I don't speak for anyone save myself. GPG encrypted mail preferred.

                                      -- Dave Clark