David Starner <dvdeug@x8b4e53cd.dhcp.okstate.edu> writes:

> 'mooch' off Debian? Perhaps I think the pure free software
> supporters, who don't care about the user should get a place and not
> 'mooch' off Debian; after all, the Social Contract promises the user
> support for non-free software.

No, the social contract is a contract with the free software world.
Paragraph Five is an apology, explaining why Debian does less for free
software than it could, because Debian is willing to slightly sell out
the free software world for the momentary convenience of some of its
users.  It is not a promise to the users that the sellout will
continue indefnitiely.

> And where are these non-free supporters? Most the people I've heard from
> here would much rather have free software then non-free software; the
> argument is over how pragmatic we should be, not whether free software is
> better.

Right, and the world has shifted.  The need for non-free has gotten
much much smaller, and it is reasonably for the Project to
periodically review whether it is still advantageous to devote
resources to non-free.

Thomas