On Wed, Jun 07, 2000 at 06:49:55PM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> > Instead, the likely impact of this resolution is that users
> > who currently need to or choose to use non-free software will use
> > another distribution.  You may view this as no loss.  I disagree.
>
> man sources.list
>
> PLONK

What an argument. This _will_ push users who need non-free software
to use another distribution, and I don't see how you can deny that.
Even if the distribution of non-free is centralized, you still won't
have the quality or guarentees that Debian (or Stormix, or Red Hat,
or Mandrake, or . . .) can supply. If it's not centralized (because
the infrastructure doesn't appear from thin air, say) then it will
be significantly uglier than many of the alternatives. It will drive
some people away. The only question is how many.

Frankly, as the president of a Linux User Group that has used Debian
for Installfests, this would definetly drive me to install Stormix,
or Mandrake next year. For our members want Netscape and the JDK,
and we aren't going to win members by going fanatic about free
software.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
http/ftp: x8b4e53cd.dhcp.okstate.edu