On Wed, Jun 07, 2000 at 02:39:25PM -0400, Adam McKenna wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 07, 2000 at 06:11:39AM -0400, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > Choice versus imposition is a continuum, not a binary state.  Do you submit
> > that the failure of a grocery store to carry a specific item of food is an
> > imposition upon you?  But let us have a better analogy.  What about a
> > health food store that refuses to carry unhealthy products like fried
> > cheeseburgers?  Are the patrons of such a store being imposed upon?
>
> I don't like this analogy.  What this GR is proposing is more like a full
> service grocery store deciding to become a health food specialty store.  Do
> you think the health food store would retain the customers of the grocery
> store?  Doubtful.  If it had been the intention of the original writers of
> the Debian Social Contract to keep out all non-free software (or even
> mostly-free software), I believe they would have written that into the
> original contract.  To change it now borders on malice.

No, it would be like a Health Store that sold normal food because they
needed to support it since there were no alternative Healthy foods
available at the time. Then after some time, that Health Food store
decided to get rid of those Non-Healthy foods since Health Food became
very popular and had good alternatives to those unhealthy foods. :)

Ben