Re: General Resolution: Removing non-free, Draft 2

On Wed, Jun 07, 2000 at 01:23:46PM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Jun 2000, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
>
> > I have not heard a reason yet why it is technically better to offer
> > non-free software on Debian servers.
>
> 	My concern would just be keeping everything in concert and up to date
> with everything else.

I don't understand how this would be any different from the current
situation, from a technical point of view. If the non-free software is worth
the time, people will continue to improve the packaging and the
infrastructure, it will just not be associated to Debian. They can still
follow the policy, make it integrated, and offer a release when Debian does.

> It may not be an 'offical' part of Debian (was it ever?),
> but it certainly is very useful to many of us I believe.

non-free and contrib are not part of the Debian distribution, although they
are in some sense part of Debian currently (obviously).

Thanks,
Marcus