Re: KDE questions

On Wed, Jun 07, 2000 at 09:58:12AM -0500, Chris Lawrence wrote:
> On Jun 07, Josip Rodin wrote:
> > Another solution would be to rewrite those parts that contain other people's
> > code. I doubt anyone would volunteer normally; however seeing that $3K
> > offer, I wouldn't be surprised if someone does. :)
>
> Hell, the OpenBSD folk went to a lot of trouble to de-GNU-ify SSH, and
> they were doing it for free.

Umm.... what?

In the same way the Mozilla people are going through a lot of trouble to
de-GNU-ify netscape.  It was never GNU software or GPL'd or even under a
decent license (save SSH <= 1.1.12).

OpenSSH is an attempt to make SSH free software, not to de-GNU-ify it.  The
reason it's under a BSD-esque license is because that's the license Tatu
Ylonen put SSH 1.1.12 under (that was the starting point for OpenSSH).

Nobody's going through any trouble to de-GNU-ify anything.

-Dan

--
"... the most serious problems in the Internet have been caused by
unenvisaged mechanisms triggered by low-probability events; mere human