Re: KDE questions

On Wed, Jun 07, 2000 at 03:16:43PM +0200, Stefan Westerfeld wrote:
> What has been suggested by debian to relicense every line of KDE code to a
> special purpose GPL with an extra addition. Although this is advocated
> to be a solution of the problem, it is only theoretical: It is completely
> impossible to convince each and every author/contributor that once in his
> life wrote a line of KDE code to change his license. So in that respect, no.

It's not completely impossible; usually copyright is retained (by the one
who sent the patch) on non-trivial, major changes. I doubt you have several
hundreds or thousands of those, per KDE program (i.e. per one program
author/maintainer who'd have do the boring work, requesting license changes
from those who wrote the patches).

Another solution would be to rewrite those parts that contain other people's
code. I doubt anyone would volunteer normally; however seeing that $3K
offer, I wouldn't be surprised if someone does. :)