> [PLEASE DO NOT CC ME ON LIST MAIL]

As you wish.

> Package: lyx
> Section: contrib/text
>
> lyx is in contrib, not non-free.  lyx will remain in the Debian archives.

No it will not.

Package: lyx
Section: contrib/text
Installed-Size: 4576
Maintainer: Stuart Lamble <lamble@yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au>
Version: 0.12.0.final-0.1
Depends: libc6, libforms0.88, libg++272 (>= 2.7.2.8), xlib6g (>= 3.3-5), xpm4g
(>= 3.4j-0)
Recommends: latex, dvips, tetex-base | ltxgraph

libforms0.88 is not free so you cannot install it on debian proper. Sorry I
may be dumb but I do not see how you are supposed to package something in a
distro that as per the distro policy cannot even be tested on that distro. How
it can be tracked in the bug system at all. Which bug is an application bug
and which is a libforms0.88 one? If libforms has a crytical bug you still ship
an application that is actually broken?

> > Use a few PCMCIA GUI frontends that happen to depend on bxforms.
>
> If they are DFSG-free, they can stay in contrib.

Same.

> > Use anything working on/with Java
>
> This would come as a big surprise to the guys I work with.  They've been
> doing Java development on Debian boxes for months, and it would be a big
> bummer to have to tell them they can't anymore.  Somehow this General
> Resolution will make it so that Debian boxes magically no longer work with
> Java.  Imagine that.

They will work. But they will no longer be debian boxes. And the system on
which software which in turn depends on Java will have to be installed will no
longer be debian. Derived from Debian - yes. But not debian. And debian will
never ever be allowed to claim that Java actually runs on "Debian". I am sorry
but if you think that Sun will see the light you are wrong.

> > Use any NVIDIA hardware as the drivers happen to be binary only

[skip]

I would skip your personal insults but you are not making debian any better by
intentionally closing it to a set of hardware platforms that happen to be a
significant percentage of what is shipped nowdays. Some vendors just do not
see the light. And until the actual user base that uses their hardware grows
and starts pressuring them they will not see it.

Disclaimer:
	IANADD