On Wed, Jun 07, 2000 at 01:15:40PM +0100, Jules Bean wrote:
> b) Free software is better than non-free software because it is
>    *morally better*.
[...]
> It's up to you to decide.  I became a debian member because I believed
> (b).  I also hope that (a) is true, although I'm not yet entirely
> convinced by that.  But I really believe (b).
[...]
> But I think that people should remember that Debian was created on a
> moral stance, not a practical one.

Actually, I don't think this is completely true.  There was certainly a
large component of practical consideration in Ian Murdock's decision to
found the Debian Project, and that was the fact that Soft Landing System
sucked so badly.  :)

See elsewhere for my thoughts on philosophies behind why people
like/use/develop free software and Debian in particular.  I don't care WHY
people contribute, I'm just glad that they do.  I also don't think one has
to adhere to any particular philosophical ideas about free software to
support, or oppose, the GR.

--
G. Branden Robinson            |       If you have the slightest bit of
Debian GNU/Linux               |       intellectual integrity you cannot