Re: Intend to package: Mozart (aka Oz)

On Thu, Jun 01, 2000 at 09:55:34AM +0200, Ralf Treinen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I plan to package the mozart programming environment (with a separate
> package for its documentation). Mozart's home page is
>
> 	http://www.mozart-oz.org/
>
> The authors describe their licence as "X11 style". The licence agreement
> says:
>
>     The authors hereby grant permission to use, copy, modify, distribute,
>     and license this software and its documentation for any purpose,
>     provided that existing copyright notices are retained in all
>     copies and that this notice is included verbatim in any
>     distributions. No written agreement, license, or royalty fee is
>     required for any of the authorized uses. Modifications to this
>     software may be copyrighted by their authors and need not follow the
>     licensing terms described here, provided that the new terms are
>     clearly indicated on the first page of each file where they apply.
>
> plus list of the copyright holders and the usual no-warranty. The debian
> policy requires about the copyright :
>
> Distribution of License
>        The rights attached to the program must apply to all to whom
>        the program is redistributed without the need for execution of
>        an additional license by those parties.
>
> I don't see any explicit statement like this in the mozart licence
> agreement. However, since use and redistribution are not restricted
> (except conservation of copyright notices) I guess that this is OK.

The correct forum for this question is debian-legal.

The rights above apply to everyone, since the license doesn't say
otherwise.  Since they apply to everyone, they apply to `all to whom
the program is redistributed'.  So it's fine; it's Free.

Welcome aboard!

--
Jules Bean                          |        Any sufficiently advanced
jules@{debian.org,jellybean.co.uk}  |  technology is indistinguishable