Re: Does linux-2.2.15 have a serious disk problem? (was Re: End of first test cycle, new packages installed)

Jim Lynch <jim@laney.edu> wrote:
>I caught a conversation on IRC where someone was claiming linux-2.2.15 has
>serious disk I/O problems that were present in both ide and scsi. Sorry,
>I don't have the player's names here... could several someones find out
>for sure please? I saw someone guess that it might be a "scheduling
>conflict".

The later 2.3.99-pre* kernels have serious virtual memory management
problems on many machines; the visible effect is kswapd hogging massive
amounts of CPU time on even reasonable levels of I/O. I found them
unusable for any length of time on my machine. Looks like it should be
fixed soon, though ...

I've heard some rumours that 2.2.15 *may* have similar problems, but I
can't offer much more than innuendo. I think we'd need more than rumour
to roll it back out of the test cycle.