Re: Does linux-2.2.15 have a serious disk problem? (was Re: End of first test cycle, new packages installed)

Thus spake Colin Watson (cjw44@flatline.org.uk):

> The later 2.3.99-pre* kernels have serious virtual memory management
> problems on many machines; the visible effect is kswapd hogging massive
> amounts of CPU time on even reasonable levels of I/O. I found them
> unusable for any length of time on my machine. Looks like it should be
> fixed soon, though ...
>
> I've heard some rumours that 2.2.15 *may* have similar problems, but I
> can't offer much more than innuendo. I think we'd need more than rumour
> to roll it back out of the test cycle.

IIRC, this is indeed the case. It seems, however, that not everyone
running those kernels is affected (depending on hardware and/or software
configuration pesumably).
See http://kt.linuxcare.com/kernel-traffic/latest.epl#5 for more info.

--
cu,
dex.

``As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not
certain, and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality.''
                                                         Albert Einstein