Re: ITP seahorse

On Sat, May 20, 2000 at 11:04:16AM -0600, Richard Stallman wrote:
>     > I would put this front end either in non-US or in main, because
>     > it is not a bad thing for main packages to point to it.
>
>     "Bad" is not the issue. The issue is that main is self contained, and can
>     be installed without anything else but main.
>
> I see no particular virtue in this.  Pointers from main to non-free
> software is a problem for specific reasons; pointers from main
> to free non-US programs are not a problem.

You're overloading terms here. I'm not saying it is a problem. By our
definitions, as they stand right now (wrong/right good/bad asise), main
must be able to satisfy it's own dependencies. When that changes, then
this will be a moot point. We all agree about the correctness of what you
are saying, and we all agree it needs to change, and it will. But here and
now, that is the way things are.

It wasn't until potato that we even had a non-US/main, so this is
something new we are working for.

Ben