Re: ITP seahorse

[ Should a Gnome GnuPG front end go in non-US/main or contrib? ]

On Wed, May 17, 2000 at 02:35:21PM -0400, Ben Collins wrote:
> The program is not encumbered by encryption laws, so it doesn't need to go
> into non-US. contrib is for programs that are DFSG free, yet depend on
> things outside of main (whether that be non-free or anything in non-US). I
> think contrib is the proper place.

I _STRONGLY_ disagree given that RMS has more or less insisted that we
remove all references to contrib and non-free from main before he
considers Debian to be completely free.

I objected to this before PRECISELY on these grounds.  I do not wish
crypto software to be forgotten simply because Debian has chosen to give
the US Government the finger and refuse to agree to have official mirrors
only in countries the US likes.  (I agree with the refusal to agree to
such, however...)

Since I have essentially been overruled by a handfull of vocal people who
agree with RMS that non-free software should be out of sight and out of
mind, I CANNOT accept treating cryptographic software---especially that
which is under the GPL---being treated like non-free software.

If it takes a general resolution and the whole voting process to change
this myopia, I WILL push this issue that far because it's IMO damned
important.  Either we support security through encryption under free
licenses as free software or we do not.  I'm sick of this sitting on the
fence crap.

<Knghtbrd> Leave it to manoj to call procmail "puny"