Re: [jcasey@gnu.org: Free Software Foundation Database]

    J> On Wed, May 17, 2000 at 11:54:20 -0400, Janet Casey wrote:
    >> A "GNU package" is one which has been reviewed by our evaluators, and for
    >> which the rights have been assigned to the FSF. You can contact Richard
    >> Stallman at rms@gnu.org if you think you might be interested.

    J> The FSF database looks like a fine extension to the FSF
    J> website, but I'd personally would love to see it extend beyond
    J> the restriction to packages whose rights have been assigned to
    J> the FSF to free software packages in general, so that it could
    J> list software like the PostgreSQL RDBMS and numerous tools
    J> common on Linux systems, like sysvinit, bsdutils and the X
    J> Window System.

Especially since X *is* listed on www.gnu.org/software/software.html!

Oh, and PostgreSQL ain't... but luckily there's GNU SQL[1].

Generally, I feel that the FSF and the GNU project go a little
overboard sometimes with their "We want our *own* version of this"
mentality.[2]

    J> This would make it a good alternative to freshmeat.net, which
    J> is currently a very useful database of free(ish) software, but
    J> which unfortunately doesn't allow one to restrict searches to
    J> free software and is itself maintained on a non-free database
    J> (mySQL).

An alternative to freshmeat that puts a stronger emphasis on Free
Software is a Very Good Thing IMHO.[4]

Bye, J

[1] Which seems to be pretty dead to me BTW... latest (alpha|beta)
version is from Sep '98.  Could you tell me (us) whether this
assessment is correct, Janet?  Or get this mail to someone who knows?

[2] While looking for a GNU SQL tarball[3], I stumbled over
gnussl... with a datestamp from 96.  Is it dead yet?  OpenSSL is free,
and actively developed.  Only it's not GNU...

[3] The non-gnu.org site referred back at ftp.gnu.org for stable
releases... but there weren't any.  So I went back and finally landed
at alpha.gnu.org... the latest release *there* is 0.7b5.3 from Apr 97!
(So alpha doesn't even carry the latest alpha...)  Weird.

[4] I track freshmeat in a local PostgreSQL database so it informs me
of new apps, and tracks new releases of apps I'm interested in.  And I
find it really annoying to read of some very cool-sounding app and the
having to realize it being non-free...

PS: I'm not saying all this to slam anyone (not the FSF, not GNU,
especially not the people behind it).  I'm just voicing my concerns as
a concerned netizen... and an avid fan of Free Software (and the GPL'd
variant thereof).  I worried, actually...

PPS: I think I should volunteer to help clean up this mess
some... though I'm not sure where to go and who to ask (I'm not even
sure I *could* help...)

- --
Jürgen A. Erhard      eMail: jae@ilk.de      phone: (GERMANY) 0721 27326
     MARS: http://members.tripod.com/Juergen_Erhard/mars_index.html
           "Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book;
           inside of a dog, it's very dark." --  Groucho Marx