Re: [jcasey@gnu.org: Free Software Foundation Database]

On Wed, May 17, 2000 at 11:54:20 -0400, Janet Casey wrote:
> A "GNU package" is one which has been reviewed by our evaluators, and for
> which the rights have been assigned to the FSF. You can contact Richard
> Stallman at rms@gnu.org if you think you might be interested.

The FSF database looks like a fine extension to the FSF website, but I'd
personally would love to see it extend beyond the restriction to packages
whose rights have been assigned to the FSF to free software packages in
general, so that it could list software like the PostgreSQL RDBMS and
numerous tools common on Linux systems, like sysvinit, bsdutils and the X
Window System.

This would make it a good alternative to freshmeat.net, which is currently a
very useful database of free(ish) software, but which unfortunately doesn't
allow one to restrict searches to free software and is itself maintained on
a non-free database (mySQL).

Ray
--
UNFAIR  Term applied to advantages enjoyed by other people which we tried
to cheat them out of and didn't manage. See also DISHONESTY, SNEAKY,