Re: Is it possible to put ghc4 and friends back?

On Thu, May 18, 2000 at 14:05:19 +0000, Chuan-kai Lin wrote:

> I have recently noticed that ghc4 and friends were removed from
> frozen at the bug horizon.  The two RC bugs attached to it were
> #52794 and #55247, which reports that the package cannot be built on
> Alpha and m68k systems.

Yes, this was a very unfortunate situation...

> AFAIK other ports do not seemed to be affected by related problems;
> it is quite possible that ghc4 were never intended to run on these
> two platforms.

Happens with all platforms except i386... The architecture field was
accidently set to `any'.

> I know it is a little bit late, but can we restore ghc4 and friends
> on non-affected platforms, such as i386?

I suggested that some time ago on debian-devel
(<20000224125134.A1162@webnet.de>), and asked for help, but nobody
stepped forward so far.

> there are many people who uses these packages. The current maintainer
> of the package appeared MIA (?); if that is a problem, and nobody
> else volunteered (I really doubt that, as Michael Weber
> <michael.weber@post.rwth-aachen.de> seemed to be carrying on the
> works already), I could start my NM application and take over the
> package.  Any opinions?

To clear things up a bit:

I'm responsible for the ghc4 and happy packages. Since I am a
new-maintainer only, aaronv acted as my sponsor for those packages. I
regularly package new versions and upload them to my webpage and
APT-store (see
  http://www-i2.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/Software/Haskell/
for details).

Since last week, I'm in the maintainer application process, so
hopefully, my status will be lifted to `debian maintainer' RSN :-).

Cheers,
Michael
--
"In My Egotistical Opinion, most people's C programs should be indented six
 feet downward and covered with dirt."