Re: [dark: READ!] CD images / Re: Formal objection: Changing how the testing of potato works would invalidate the whole test. So please don't change it.

On Mon, May 15, 2000 at 09:14:54AM +0200, J.A. Bezemer wrote:
> On Sun, 14 May 2000, Josip Rodin wrote:
> > All boot-floppies are ready (except ARM, but that's an opaque thing :), and
> > the CD images have been created. So, we can test potato installation and
> > upgrade with those.
>
> As advertised on cdimage.debian.org, there are (still) _NO_ official CD images
> of the first test cycle.
>
> The reason is that we are still WAITING for several things to happen. We are
> not going to release officially broken CDs, because broken CDs can't be
> evaluated.

That's a bit of a Catch-22, because everyone else is WAITING for the CD images.

> This is my current WaitingFor list:  (comments are welcome!)

My first comment is that this is the first I've heard of this list.

m68k:
> - 2.2.13 floppies               install

I did this just now.

> - upgrade-alpha                 install   (see #63890)
> - upgrade-i386                  install   (see #63890)
> - upgrade-m68k                  install   (see #63890)
> - upgrade-sparc                 install   (see #63890)

As you have guessed, a signature from a Debian developer is necessary to
get something into the archive.  The main exception is stuff the archive
maintainers can review for themselves, such as documentation and small
scripts.

> (Confirmed 05/13)

What does this mean?

> - apt 0.3.19                    install
ppc
> - libc6                         re-upload & re-install
sparc
> - libc6-dev, 2.1.3-10.1         upload & install

Installing these will invalidate the boot-floppies we already have.
Please get in touch with the boot-floppies team if you think the
current ones are not useful even for the first test cycle.

> arm ???
> - floppies  ???
> ARM will not release with 2.2 as there is no way to install it.
> Maybe 2.2.1 if people are providing boot-stuff.

Yes, they are rather late with their boot-floppies.   But I see
2.2.14 ones for ARM in Incoming now.  This is still a problem because
it's a binary upload and the boot-floppies source is still at 2.2.13.
There have been a lot of communication problems with the ARM porters;
I hope they can work out this one.

> We will NOT be releasing official CD images before all this has been resolved.
> (And yes, it's me who controls that, since I'm the webmaster of
> cdimage.debian.org.)

Perhaps we should find someone else to do that, since you're obviously on
a power trip.  I don't see how you got that job without being a Debian
developer in the first place.

> I'd finally like to see some action from ftpmaster/release manager (i.e.
> dark). He's being _extremely_ communicative to us CD people :-(

Why, thank you.  I should note that I am _not_ ftpmaster, however.  I
am a member of a team of five archive maintainers, and currently a
mostly inactive member because I'm busy being release manager.

Richard Braakman